Sunday, February 16, 2014

Valentine's Week

On Monday we started our pickle dissection lab. This lab helped me learned the proper method of doing a dissection. Learning the proper way to do a dissection includes how to remove organs/seeds and making incisions. On Tuesday we started dissecting our pickles. It was difficult removing the small seeds from the flesh. Though it wasn't very exciting dissecting a pickle, this task taught me the proper method of dissecting which I will apply when I am ready to dissect an animal.
Wednesday was another snow day or more like ice day. The freezing rain turned to ice and clung to the tree branches and made them break. A lot of branches broke and fell on power lines. I was without power for the day. On Thursday I took notes on hydra.
On Friday we looked at hydras and sponges under the microscope and celebrated Valentine's Day.
I continued with my hemp and chia seeds germination at home. I am glad that I was able to improve on my growing technique by trying again at home. I have attached pictures of my chia seeds which are growing and doing well since my post last week. I also wanted to learn more about why we dissect frogs in science and not other animals. The link attached has good information on why frogs are used. It was another great week in science at WAAS!








http://mentalfloss.com/article/49855/why-do-students-dissect-frogs





chia seeds germinating 
icy day 
ice covered trees at home 
pickle about to be dissected 
dissecting the pickle 
dissected pickle 
Valentine's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment