Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Week

This week was awesome because we only had four days of school. That made the week so much better because Friday was Halloween. On Monday we reviewed for our test by playing grudge ball. Every time  we play grudge ball it helps me understand the material allot better. This time when we played grudge ball I wrote down the questions to help me study. By doing this it helps me better prepare for what's on the test.

On Tuesday we had the test. This test was a lot shorter than our regular tests. I like it when the tests are shorter because it takes a lot less time. On Wednesday we reviewed our test. When I saw my grade I was so close to an A. This just means I can improve by working harder and reviewing the material allot more. When we reviewed our test it helped me see the mistakes I made . We also took notes on unit four. In unit four  we are learning about the periodic table. I think it is important to study the periodic table and know how it works because we use it so much in chemistry. Another thing we are doing with the periodic table is another project. We are making a large periodic table out of cereal boxes. Each person is assigned to a different element and when we stack the boxes together it will form a giant periodic table.

On Thursday we took a break from science class and celebrated Halloween by making fake blood. We also played with dry ice a little. We made bubbles with the dry ice by putting water and dry ice in a container with a tube and dipped the tip of the tube in soap. This produced bubbles that gave off a very ghostly look. I wish I had dry ice at home so I could try this. We also produced bubbles by putting dry ice and water into a bowl. Then dipping a string into soap dragging the string along the edge of the bowl. This produced a half bubble that  also gave off that haunting ghost bubble effect. To help us fake a bloody nose or open wound on Halloween we learned how to make realistic looking fake blood. To make the blood we mixed red food coloring, red fruit punch,corn syrup,cocoa power, chocolate syrup,and corn starch. The cornstarch was used for thickening the blood. We used cornstarch to make it less transparent The punch and the food coloring was used for the red color. The chocolate syrup and cocoa powder was used for making it look more like blood. I though this mixture looked just like the real stuff and cant wait to try it a t home.

This week I also worked on Science Olympiad.  I made a list of scientific words for picture this. I think I spent about 30 minutes making this list. This week was super fun and and I hope next week is even better. This link is to a website explaining why fake blood can also be different colors  http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/10/28/coloursofblood/




No comments:

Post a Comment