Sunday, April 10, 2016

New Section

On Monday, we had IOWA testing so that resulted in our science class being shorter. To begin the class we did our normal science starter. Then after that, we reviewed notes about the atmosphere. We reviewed topics on global heating and winds, both global and local. An example of a local wind would be a lake wind or a sea breeze. One main factor of Earth's overall heating is the Earth's curvature. After reviewing notes, we worked on a new activity on the atmosphere. To start this activity, we did research on the different types of chemicals in the air and how they could harm humans. Carbon Monoxide is an example of one of these gases that could do great harm to human bodies.

On Tuesday, we did not have science class because of an abbreviated schedule due to IWOA testing.

On Wednesday, we had our quiz on section one. I thought this quiz was very hard and that we did not go over some of the topics as well as we usually do for most of our quizzes. I studied the way I normally do for all tests and quizzes, but for some reason, this was a lot harder than all the ones I have taken in the past. I had the most trouble on the multiple choice questions because I thought that they were worded in an odd way. The short answer questions made sense and I did not really have a problem answering it. Our next test will be open notes so hopefully, I will use that to my advantage when taking it.

On Thursday, we started class by reviewing our quiz. I have some material I need to improve on for next week's test. It will be open notes, so this week it is important that I add all of the side notes while reviewing them in class. This is something that I need to improve on so I can do well on the quiz. After reviewing for the quiz we did some new notes for section two. We started by learning the layers of the atmosphere, which was more like review because of the graph we did last week. The layers of the atmosphere change with density and temperature as the elevation changes.

On Friday, we worked on learning new material on the different layers of Earth's atmosphere for the test next week. The new information I learned about was about the thermopause and mesopause. These are transition layers in which the temperature usually remains constant. I added these layers to the graph we worked on last week to help me review for my test. We also learned about the ionosphere.  Most people often associate this layer of the atmosphere with the Aurora Borealis lights that occur at the poles. This happens when solar wind activity  interacts with the charged particles in the ionosphere. After doing notes we had the rest of the class time to review. Overall this week was a stressful week because we had a quiz in the middle of Iowa testing and shortened classes.




No comments:

Post a Comment