Sunday, November 8, 2015

Tectonic Food

On Monday we reviewed for our science quiz on Tuesday. This quiz is on unit 4 which is about plate tectonics. As a class we reviewed for this quiz by playing a review game. The class split into two groups and each person from each side was given a series of questions to answer. If the person got the questions right then they were given the chance to shoot a nerf-gun at the white board that had targets on it with different numbers of points. This helped me review because from hearing the questions I knew which topics I needed to review for the quiz. One topic I needed to review is the occurrences of the mid-ocean ridge. It is a big topic so it is important that I understand it very well.

On Tuesday we took our science quiz. The quiz was easier than I thought it was going to be and I think I may have studied some material that wasn't even on the quiz. After studying I had a better understanding of what happened in the mid-ocean ridge and it also helped a lot with memorizing the vocab. After the quiz we finished our blogs and our only homework was our blog for that day. Overall I think I understood most of the material on the quiz and seeing my feedback will help me study for the test a lot better.

On Wednesday we reviewed questions with the website Kahoot. The questions varied from review from the quiz and questions from the next unit. I missed some of the questions from the next unit but got most of the review questions. After that we finished all the vocab for the whole unit which took up all of the class.  One word that you have heard before but most likely not in the context of science is compression. Compression is when rocks are forced together by external forces. Most of the vocab was new words I had never heard before but when going over notes tomorrow I will probably understand it more.

On Thursday we started a new lab. This lab helped reinforce some of the material we had reviewed in class. This involved cake icing, graham crackers, and fruit roll ups. The fruit roll ups represented oceanic crust because it was dense but also thin. The graham crackers represented the continental crust because it was thick but not dense. The icing represented the asthenospere because it is a thick semi-solid.  We demonstrated how the different crusts would react with each other in different situations. After the demonstrations we filled the data table in with drawings of what each one looked like and geologic features that would result from them.

On Friday we reviewed notes. one main question from this unit was how has plate tectonics affected evolution, ocean currents and global climate. We discussed this question and found that since Pangaea broke apart, species of animals were isolated from their original continents and had to adapt  to their new climate changes which led to biodiversity.  This also affects ocean currents because the plate movement disrupts heat currents. The heat changes in the atmosphere because volcanic eruption emit sulfur which decreases the harm of uv rays and can decrease the overall temperature. After notes we finished our lab questions about plate tectonics. This week I improved on my study habits but I still need to keep working hard.









No comments:

Post a Comment