Sunday, February 8, 2015

Bowling for Forces

On Monday we started our bowling for forces lab. This lab taught us about Newton's Second Law. Newton's Second Law talks about how acceleration of an object depends on the net force. We tested this by rolling different size balls.  For each ball we rolled, we rolled it fast for one turn then slow for another turn. We rolled each ball eight meters. We weighed each ball in kilograms so we could figure out the force by multiplying mass times acceleration. After we got our results we recorded them in our data table. Some controlled variables that we kept the same in this experiment were the timer and person who throws the ball. If we did not keep these variables the same, then the results would be less reliable. After we collected our data we filled out our data table.

On Tuesday we worked on finishing our lab. We had to use what we recorded in our experiment to find force and acceleration. To calculate acceleration you have to divide velocity by time and to find velocity you would do distance divided by time. We had to calculate both of these things plus force for all of the balls on our data table.

On Wednesday we did something very different in science class. We broke a very heavy cinder block on Mr. Adam's chest with a sledge hammer.  I know you are probably thinking how does this relate to physics. This experiment relates to physics because the force is spread out instead of the force being concentrated in one area so it didn't hurt him when it broke. I thought watching the cinder block break was a great way of teaching us physics. At first I thought he was going to get hurt and I thought this could possibly never work. So I was very happy that it did work out.

On Thursday we learned about free body diagrams. Before today i did not know what they were were. When I first heard of them I thought they would be a lot like Lewis dot structures. A free body diagram helps you visualize the different forces being applied to an object. After practicing the free body diagrams they became a lot easier.

On Friday we had time in class to work on our study guides.  I am glad that we had time in class to prepare for the test on Tuesday. I think from doing the study guide in class and checking my answers I have a better understanding of the material on the test.  I think one thing I need to improve on this week is  remembering to print the chapter notes to help me in class. I always write it on my hand to remember but it always washes off and I forget. For Science Olympiad this week I spent about 15 minutes on Wednesday after school breaking the  bridge. Also on Thursday I worked on picture this for around 10 minutes in guided study.
 For this week's link it is a better explanation from Harvard of how Mr.Adams didn't die.
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/NewtonianMechanics/FakirPhysics/FakirPhysics.html




No comments:

Post a Comment