Sunday, January 25, 2015

Physics and so much more...

On Monday it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day so we didn't have school. The fact that we had a four day week instead of a five day week made the week go so much faster.

On Tuesday we started a new unit which was Physics. When reviewing notes we learned basic vocabulary terms used in Physics. I learned the difference between scalar and vector quantities.While reviewing  my notes, I learned that vector quantities cannot be added to scalar quantities and can be abbreviated with an arrow over  the first letter. For example -> for acceleration.
                                                             a

On Wednesday we started a new lab. This lab taught us about distance and displacement; two terms we also learned on Tuesday. In this lab we used something living that was very squirmy and slimy. Can you guess what it was? It was a SUPER WORM!!! The super worm wasn't really a worm it was beetle larva. To begin the lab we separated our large sheet of paper into three parts. Two parts for the graph and one part to track the worms course. We set our timer for one minute and every ten seconds we marked the  spot where the worm was. We drew a dot in the center of the page to track the distance and displacement from that point. Then we put our super worm on the dot and then started the timer. Our worm squirmed around a lot making it hard to figure out where he was going. I thought watching a worm move around was a lot more fun way of learning distance and displacement.

On Thursday we worked on our lab questions. The rest of the day, the entire Science Olympiad team went to Panera Bread to have lunch and study for our events. I can definitely say I got a a lot done on Picture This. I think I spent around three hours practicing and drawing scientific terms. We got more words in four minutes than we had in the past. We got about ten words in the past but after we practiced for a while we got about twelve words per minute which is not a lot but shows progression.

On Friday we finished our lab. This lab helped me understand some terms I did not understand such as, acceleration and velocity.  On thing I can improve on this week is remembering to print out the notes and remembering to tweet. I hope next week feels as short as this week did.

For Science Olympiad I not only worked on Picture This, but on Sunday afternoon Emma and I met at school with our coaches.  We both broke two of our bridges each and spent about an hour working on Science Olympiad.



For this week's link is all about caring for super worms. https://www.wardsci.com/www.wardsci.com/images/Superworms.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment