Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Week Before Winter Break

On Monday we started our lab. This lab taught us about how temperature and size can affect the reaction rate. In the first experiment our group did, we tested both zinc and zinc powder to see if the size of the  particles would affect the time it took for each reaction. We poured hydrochloric acid into the test tubes that contained the zinc. The zinc powder reacted almost instantly but the zinc solid slowly bubbled. After the zinc powder reaction it left a grey precipitate. This reaction showed that the size of the particle does affect the reaction speed. While we were doing our experiment two other groups did another experiment to see if temperature affects the rate of reaction speed of their experiment.  We then shared our results between the groups. They tested what kind of water would melt the ice the quickest. They found that the hot water melted the water the fastest. After we shared our data we then had to answer questions that applied to both sets of data.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I wasn't here for science class because I was sick. I am so bummed that I missed school because being sick is no fun.

On Thursday we had our test for this chapter. I did not take the test because I was absent on Tuesday and Wednesday. Instead I finished my lab. After finishing my lab I can say that it helped me study for my test. Also this lab showed me what factors can speed up  reactions.

On Friday there was no Science class. It was the last day before Christmas break. Instead, SGA had a door decorating contest. I was on the team that decorated Mrs. Puritis-Pulley's door. We decorated the door and even won first place.

This week I think I can improve on blogging daily because on my busy nights full of homework I always seem to forget. Even though this week I wasn't here for many days, I still got allot out of every day.

This weeks link is all about the stuff we did in our lab. http://www.chem4kids.com/files/react_rates.html




           

No comments:

Post a Comment